Friday, October 10, 2008

Random Thoughts

With GE reporting decent earnings and no corresponding effect on the overall market, I have only three thoughts in my head:

1. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

2. The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

3. Omnia munda mundis. (All things are pure to the pure in heart.)

I'm not sure why the last one popped in my head, but perhaps it's my subconscious asking for divine intervention. After today's buying, my retirement accounts are now fully invested. From December 7, 2007 until today, my retirement accounts have decreased 22.6%. The S&P 500 has fallen 42.8% during the same time period. My retirement accounts need to increase 29% to get back to December 2007 levels (a decline of 1% in your portfolio requires more than 1% to get it back to the pre-existing level--it's counter-intuitive, but true). I would say today is the bottom, but I've been wrong before.

No comments: