Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lawyers Paid Not to Work?

Sounds like the GM jobs bank, doesn't it? Some lawyers are getting paid $80K not to work:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107024/Getting-Paid-Not-to-Work

Before you rush to submit your law school application, remember, these are big, prestigious law firms--there's only about 100 to 150 of them nationwide. Consequently, only the top 10 to 15% of law school graduates get these jobs. If you do some rough math, most law school grads have less than a 10% chance of getting these positions, unless they attend a top twenty law school.

Most lawyers probably work for the government; insurance companies; or insurance-related companies. My dreams of following in Thurgood Marshall's footsteps did not work out exactly as I'd planned. Oh, well. Even if someone had told me back then what I was in for, I wouldn't have listened.

No comments: