Saturday, July 26, 2008

New Word: filigree

I just learned a new word: "filigree."

It's a rare and pleasurable occurrence when I learn a new word, and I thought I'd share. Filigree refers to jewel work of a delicate kind made with twisted threads usually of gold and silver or stitching of the same curvy motif. As an adjective, it refers to anything very delicate or fanciful.

The NY Times published an article by Meghan O’Rourke I am still agog about:

Here's the sentence that caught my eye: "Bootie too young to accept that he lives in a world of filigreed self-absorption rather than pragmatic transcendentalism." Sigh. I wish I could write like Ms. O'Rourke.

No comments: