Saturday, April 26, 2008

Mozart

Other than a classical music class I took at a community college--one of the best deals in existence, as the CDs that came with the textbook are still used--I have no expertise in music. But this article about Mozart caught my attention, primarily because it states in different, more concise words my belief that our brains get caught up in limited local patterns that inhibit intellectual growth.

See Corinna Da Fonseca-Wollheim: "The Magic Flute" is as utopian and abstract as "The Abduction" is fresh. By placing his characters in an oriental setting, Mozart reminds us that it is only in confrontation with an Other from whom we allow ourselves to learn that we can find our own voice and transcend prejudice. (WSJ, April 26, 2008)

Absolutely correct, in my humble opinion.

No comments: