Wednesday, January 20, 2010

American Stock Market

Just a short note: the U.S. stock market seems ready to start falling. Alicia Keys and I might see you at around 1000. (Right now, the S&P 500 is at 1150.) A 13% to 16% drop sounds about right. I have a long list of stocks I'd like to buy, and I've been waiting patiently since late 2009.

The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances do any statements here represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities or make any kind of an investment. You are responsible for your own due diligence. To summarize, I do not provide investment advice, nor do I make any claims or promises that any information here will lead to a profit, loss, or any other result.

2 comments:

Adam Rogoyski said...

I predict steady growth for 2010. Any short-term blip is inconsequential and relying on this to time the market is foolhardy.

With China, Korea, Brazil, and many other countries doing quite well, the US can and usually benefits as a major trading partner of all.

A potential factor in 2010 is the Euro. Ireland may be going from a fantastic success story to another country hit by a housing bubble. Greece may be unable to stop violating Euro rules. Unemployment is high across Europe. If confidence in the Euro fades, the US markets will take an influx of foreign investments, further pushing up the market. If Europe does well throughout the year, then this will reflect well globally and in the US as well.

I don't see a good reason for a substantial drop in value this year. Steady growth potential looks probable.

Matt Rafat said...

@Adam: on 1/20/10, you said, "I don't see a good reason for a substantial drop in value this year. Steady growth potential looks probable."

Since 1/19/10, the market has dropped 7.3%. I don't know whether the market will continue to drop, but some dividend-paying stocks look very interesting right now.