Thursday, July 15, 2010

One Immigrant's Perspective on America

Below is one of the most awesome letters I've ever read. First published in the San Jose Mercury News (July 3, 2010): 

It took awhile for me, an Indonesian Muslim who works and lives in America, to appreciate the significance of July Fourth. Then, I came across a quote of President John F. Kennedy that helped me understand: "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." 

Since I have lived here, this nation has given me an education, freedom, security and the liberty to become a part of its society. I understand and realize that this country has paid a huge price and sacrificed many of its citizens for me, and so many others like me, to enjoy these freedoms. For this I am very grateful and this July Fourth, I simply want to say to the Founding Fathers, "Thank you." 

Tahir Ahmad 
Milpitas, CA 

Props to Mr. Ahmad.

No comments: