Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kaveh Alipour

Another government-inflicted murder happens in Iran:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124571865270639351.html

Apparently, Kaveh Alipour was non-political and was just waiting at an intersection:

He had been alone. Neighbors and relatives think that he got trapped in the crossfire. He wasn't politically active and hadn't taken part in the turmoil that has rocked Iran for over a week, they said.

This might be the work of the Basij, a volunteer paramilitary force that's similar to Germany's former SS. A significant percentage of Basij are allowed to have firearms, and I think the Iranian government has supplied more of them with weapons since the uprising.

I remember being in Iran many years ago. I was a teenager, and it was a hot day. I lifted my shirt and exposed my chest to the slight breeze. My friend worriedly told me not to do that. Under Islamic law, both men and women must dress modestly when outside the home. I realized later my friend might have been concerned about the Basij bothering us.

No comments: