Monday, March 31, 2008

The origin of "K Yew"

Some readers might notice the "K_Yew" nickname I have on my blog, but in no way is this a cute phonetic bit. The International Heald Tribune did a wonderful interview with Lee Kuan Yew that I just discovered. Here is one of my favorite bits from the interview:

The system works regardless of your race, language or religion because otherwise we'd have divisions. We are pragmatists. We don't stick to any ideology. Does it work? Let's try it and if it does work, fine, let's continue it. If it doesn't work, toss it out, try another one. We are not enamored with any ideology.

Let the historians and the Ph.D. students work out their doctrines. I'm not interested in theories per se.

It should not surprise anyone that this man is one of my heroes. The full interview is below, but if the link expires, you can go to the International Heald Tribune, Asia-Pacific, and do a search for the full interview, which spans eight pages and is dated August 29, 2007.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/29/asia/lee-excerpts.php?page=1

No comments: