Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dick Armey's Axiom Number One

Dick Armey's Axiom Number One: "The market is rational. The government is dumb."

His entire speech, printed in Imprimis, can be found by searching here:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis.asp

Mr. Armey goes on to say, "George Washington might have become our king, but he chose not to. His governing idea was that government is our servant because we are inherently free. It is an idea too many in government today forget."

Dick Armey is perhaps most famous for a statement made during the Monica Lewinsky scandal in 1998. A reporter asked him what he would do if he were in President Bill Clinton's position. He replied "If I were in the President's place I would not have gotten a chance to resign. I would be lying in a pool of my own blood, hearing Mrs. Armey standing over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"

No comments: