Monday, November 22, 2010

Random Thoughts: 2010 Political Edition

1. Almost all conflicts are because of land, money, and/or women, or the protection thereof. Religion, race, etc. are just atavistic proxies that help human beings justify violence and exclusion in order to protect land, money, and/or women.

2. I predict Hilary Clinton will run for President in 2012.

3. I am still sad that Russ Feingold lost the recent Wisconsin election. He was the lone Senator who voted against the Patriot Act in 2001. [Senator Landrieu (D-LA) abstained.]

In 2006, the following Senators voted against the Patriot Act's renewal:

Akaka (D-HI) Bingaman (D-NM) Byrd (D-WV) Feingold (D-WI) Harkin (D-IA) Jeffords (I-VT) Leahy (D-VT) Levin (D-MI) Murray (D-WA) Wyden (D-OR)

3. The more I learn about Tom Harkin (D-IA), the more I respect him. (What is it about Iowa that seems to produce reasonably progressive people instead of the scorch-the-earth-to-change-the-world California types?)

No comments: