Monday, January 5, 2009

Letter from the Past

I am going through my old things and found this letter I wrote way back in 1999. Even then, you could see my libertarian leanings:

San Jose Mercury News, July 25, 1999, 7G:

I never cease to be astounded at how utterly stupid people show themselves to be while judging "moral" content. All the hoopla over "Austin Powers" neglects to see that the movie is a farce that lampoons filmmaking and general society. As such, it isn't meant to be the focus of discussions on the same level as, say, Kantian ethics. If you have something against laughter, stay near your white picket fence and watch a Disney flick with your 2.2 kids--the rest of us will be at the theaters, trembling and writhing on the floor in our moral bankruptcy.

The best part? On the same page is an ad for "Austin Powers, The Spy Who Shagged Me."

No comments: