Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote Today

It feels exciting to be a part of an election where both candidates are competent and respectable. I can barely remember the last time I felt genuinely happy about our presidential choices. Usually, we joke that our choices are between Tweedledee and Tweedledum, but this time, we have two honorable, dignified men in the race.

Based on my own informal survey, many young people (18 to 25 yrs) have not voted. One reason is because young people are more transient than the general population--they move for a job, for college, etc. As a result of this transience, it's harder for them to pro-actively register to vote. Without registering, a citizen cannot vote.

I predict a popular vote of 53% to 44%, with 3% voting independent/libertarian/Constitution/Green, in favor of Obama. If Obama wins, I will be very interested in whether the Democrats gain enough Congressional seats to prevent the Republicans from filibustering. As much as I like Obama, I don't want the Democrats to have unchecked power in Congress and two branches of government.

No comments: